Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Not Today

Mike was supposed to come home today, but didn't. When they took the catheter out yesterday, he was not able to go on his own. They tried this 2 times with no luck. They had to put the catheter back in because if he didn't let out the urine, we were told it could lead to kidney failure. A urologist came in today and explained to me that very frequently patients with neurological problems have issues like this. They are going to try again tomorrow, and if Mike doesn't go on his own, they will need to insert the catheter for good. I'm not too thrilled with that because Mike's brother Rich passed away after he became septic from a clogged catheter. We have no choice though because Mike's body DOES have to get rid of it's waste.

I don't think I mentioned that they told me the other day that Mike has MRSA in his nose. I freaked out because I thought MRSA was dangerous, but I was told that this type is harmless because it's "colonized in the nasal passages". All I have to do is rub an antibiotic ointment in each nostril for 7 days.

I talked to the kids again today about hospice and of course, they were upset. As an adult knowing that there will be a time when Mike can no longer fight this battle, I'm having a difficult time with this. How can I expect Courtney and Brandon to? This is their dad. No child should have to go through this - EVER!!!!

No comments: