Thursday, March 27, 2008

If you can Imagine

Remember that day when you got that dreaded phone call telling you that someone you loved dearly had died. Remember the sadness, loneliness and tears? Remember during the wake and burial how you reminisced about the good times? You remember your loved one's smiles, words, hugs and love. You remember vacations, holidays, weddings and births. You get through those days going through the motions. You feel numbness and disbelief. You just can't believe this is happening.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF ALZHEIMER'S.

All of the above is experienced on a daily basis for the caregiver of someone with Alzheimer's Disease. You feel sadness, disbelief and loneliness. Even though your loved one is physically present, they are emotionally gone/lost. You can't believe this is happening.

After seven (7) years, there are days when I STILL wonder when I will wake up from this nightmare. I am STILL in shock. I grieve everday for the loss of the man I married. I grieve everyday for the loss of the wonderful man who is was the greatest dad. We mourn his loss on a daily basis.

Can you imagine?

No comments: