Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Don't Forget About Us

I would first like to apologize for not writing sooner. My home computer broke and the one computer I can borrow has a broken "u" key. If I am patient and daring enough, I will use that computer (I have to hit "CTRL V" to get the letter "u". It's time consuming as you can imagine)

I would just like to, once again, thank everyone for all your comments, prayers and words of strength and love. My children and I care for my husband out of love and we do it because it just comes naturally to us. We never thought we were doing anything amazing or out of the ordinary. When I married my husband, I heard the vows, "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health". I KNOW Mike would have been there for me. We married out of love, and it's the strength of that love that enables me to do what I do.

Scentedcottage, Wendy, Liz, Stephanie, Susan, Suset, Wendy, Annie, Laura and Karen C - Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write me words of encouragement. JoAnn - I DID work in Friendly's NHP for 9 years, so I'm, sure we must know each other. In fact Friendly's had a reunion this summer. It's a small world. There were NUMEROUS anonymous messages, so I can't thank you all personally, but please know that I TRULY appreciate what you have written.

I pray for a cure for this disease and all I ask is that you remember us and do your best to help keep the subject open. There are NO SURVIVORS of Alzheimer's Disease, no one to march on Washington. Alzheimer patients do not have the voices to speak out. Please help us speak up for them.

It's great to hear from you all today, but please don't forget about us (Alzheimer patients and families) tomorrow.

Thank you and God Bless.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Karen after reading your families journey I don't think I will ever forget you or Alzheimers and its effects. I am leaving my offer of help with you as an open invitation. Although I do understand you don't like to ask for help please know that I am here if and when you ever need my help a week from now, a month, a year. Anytime! I am praying for your family and will continue to do so. I do hope you get your computer working again. My space bar used to stick and I know how annoying that was. I had to stop and really pound on the bar everytime I had to space! I wish you a good rest tonight I am sure you can use it.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Henley,
I still hold you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I don't think I will ever forget your family's story and struggle as it has shown true courage, devotion and LOVE. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Mike is so luckly to have an angel like you by his side.
-Suset

Jo Ann said...

Hi Karen,

I worked in Friendly's in the early 80's for about 2 years. You use to work on Saturday Evenings. I wish I knew about the Friendly's reunion. I would of gone.

How is Mike today? Mike is one lucky guy to have found you. He is alive today because of what you and the kids do for him every day. I know on some level he is aware that you, Courtney and Brandon are taking such wonderful care of him. God bless you that your Mom & dad is there to help out too.

I would like to offer some help anytime day Or nihgt. Need a left with the the kids or the dog.

Life is never easy with a husband and kids but your life is an example of loving, caring and unforgetable love. Your in my prayers and thoughts evryday.
Jo Ann