Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fever

Yesterday was not great. Mike had a fever ALL day (between 101-103 degrees). He was prescribed amoxycillin. The hospice nurse came in the afternoon, and Mike was pretty much OK. He was breathing heavy, but that we knew, was because of the fever. We were told to give the antibiotics 48 hours and HOPEFULLY the fever will subside. If not, they may have to change medicines.
Last night was horrible. Once we got Mike into bed, he started coughing and sneeezing constantly. His breathing increased. He even coughed up some food. After about 40 minutes of this, I called hospice. They suggested I give him a breathing treatment and turn up his oxygen, which I did. Surprisingly, it helped. When they called back to check on him, I was happy to say he was calm. Throughout the night though, he kept wincing and pulling his hands up. His stomach was making awful noises. I think it's the amoxicillin, because that medicine upsets MY stomach when I take it. Last night he started sweating terribly so we thought his fever broke. Unfortunately, he woke up with a fever again this morning. Hospice called 3x and they are sending over a nurse to check on him.
I am EXHAUSTED. Two nights of hardly any sleep, is taking it's toll. I just hope we all make it through this illness healthy.

No comments: