Monday, August 3, 2009

4 Days of Fever

Last night was my 3rd night without sleep. Mike's fever went up again at 5am (102.5), so I gave him a sponge bath and tylenol. I called in sick so I could get some sleep. Little did I realize what my day held in store, and sleep was not on the list.
My first call was from the hospice nurse saying that she would be over around noon. The second call came from the x-ray tech stating he would be over in 15 mins. to get a chest x-ray. The third call was from hospice stating they were sending their social worker over today for me to sign discharge papers......Yes, that's what I said. Three sleepless nights and one sick husband does not make me a strong person, so of course, I broke down. My actual comment to them was "are you serious. My husband has had a fever for 4 days and you're still going to discharge him?". Yes.
So my phone calls began. My first and only call was to our social worker from LIAF, who now works with Mike's Dr., the same dr. that recommended this hospice. She told me to sit tight, she would make some calls and get back to me. Oh yeah, and I called her on her cell phone because she was home on vacation this week. About 1 1/2 hours later, I got a call from hospice stating that Mike's discharge was being put "on hold". Could they do me any favors? I felt like they thought they were doing us a HIGE favor. I can't begin to tell you the additional stress they caused me this morning with that phone call. In my mind, there is NO EXCUSE for what they did.
Mike STILL has a fever. I agreed with hospice that if it doesn't go away by tomorrow, I will admit him to the hospice "in patient" facility for acute care - meaning he will be in their unit until they can stabilize him and/or treat him successfully, and then he will come back home. My concern now is that the UTI he has, is not being treated with the correct medication and as a result could get worse. The lab came today to pick up his sample, but it will take 1-2 days to get results back.
As usual, the kids are their usual optimistic self, and I am jealous of that. I can't help but worry about the worst. Then I hear my dad's voice in my head saying, "why worry about something you have no control of?" I pray that Mike's fever breaks and his infection goes away. We'll see if God has the same plan.

No comments: