Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Shack

While shopping at Target one day, Courtney noticed a book called The Shack. She explained to me that Fr. Albert (her religion teacher) recommended it and offered the students extra credit if they read it. Curious, I picked it up and read the description. I purchased it.

It's difficult to get my mom to read, but she finished this book within one week. She raved about it. So, now it's my turn. It's promising to be a really good book and the writing of this author (Wm. Paul Young) is amazing. While reading it, I came across a paragraph that describes perfectly what I have always tried to convey to others about how I feel. Here it is..........
"The Great Sadness had draped itself around Mack's shoulders like some invisible but almost tangibly heavy quilt. The weight of it's presence dulled his eyes and stooped his shoulders. Even his efforts to shake it off were exhausting, as if his arms were sewn into its bleak folds of despair and he had somehow become part of it. He ate, worked, loved, dreamed and played in this garment of heaviness, weighed down as if he were wearing a leadan bathrobe - trudging daily through the murky despondancy that sucked the color out of everything..."

No comments: