Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Knot in My Stomach

This is how I feel whenever I call home to see how Mike is doing and I get told, "he's not eating" or "he's drinking very little today".

Experience tells me that we all have bad days, inlcuding Mike. There have been many of those phone calls, but inevitably, he's always OK. I guess I fear the day that his eating and drinking will stop, and he will not resume his "normal" schedule. I can't express enough how my heart drops when I hear those words.

I have been giving Mike his evening medicine (in yogurt) when I get home, because Mary has to leave early to go to night school. Each night it takes me about an hour to give him about 3 tablespoons of yogurt and there are times that he seems to be struggling. I don't understand, because he appears to take the food and drink better for Mary. I guess I am worried because I see firsthand, the difficulties at night, and I'm growing concerned about his abilities to eat.

No comments: