Friday, April 11, 2008

Young Onset Conference

Today Courtney, Brandon and myself went into NYC to attend the AFA/JCC Conference on the "Let's Do Lunch" program for people with Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease. (The director is determined to change the usage to Young Onset because many people, even professionals were confused between Early Onset and Early Stage).


It was emotional for me because it was Mike that inspired the program. While I am pleased that our situation with Mike's illness was able to bring about something so useful, helpful and unique, I still feel a pang of sadness that this program was not around when Mike was first diagnosed.


We were able to meet two other wonderful families that are just beginning their journey with this disease. One I had "met" over the internet last year, but lost touch with, the other is someone from right in my area of NY. For years I have been connecting with people all over the United States, and now I have found another family that lives only about 15 minutes away. We seemed to have so much in common, that my daughter called this woman my "clone".

I hope to stay in touch with these women and of course, I will pray for their families.

(This is a picture taken today with the director of Let's Do Lunch, Connie Wasserman - our angel).

No comments: