Thursday, April 17, 2008

So Proud

This morning Courtney, at the age of 16, was commissioned as a Eucharistic Minister. I am so proud of her.
When I think back to when I was young, communion was so sacred. The altar servers held trays under our mouths, just in case a host was dropped. We weren't allowed to chew or touch the host (Body of Christ). Now we can take communion in our hands and as people walk away, they sometimes appear like they're having a 3 course meal, chomping away on the communion wafer. I still can't do that, even though it's been allowed by the church for years. I guess old habits die hard.
All these thoughts came rushing through me as I watched Courtney giving out communion to her fellow classmates. How far the church has come and how honored I feel for Courtney that she can now give communion. I am so proud of her and I know Mike would be also. We told him quite a few times about this big honor, as we tell him so many other events in our lives. We talk to him every day about all the things that have happened, because even though Mike cannot speak (and hasn't in about 3 years), doesn't mean that he does not understand. We may never know what he is aware of, but he is till a part of our family and we share everything with him.

1 comment:

Carl in NC said...

It is exciting that Courtney will get to see the Pope, and what a blessing and honor to be a Eucharistic Minister. You all are a wonderful example of God's grace and mercy in the way your family serves God and Mike. We will continue to lift you all up in prayer.

God bless,

Carl