Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Warning re: Hospice

Be forewarned. If you are ever thinking of placing a loved one on hospice, bear in mind that you will not be able to utilize the respite service they claim you are entitled to.

Yes, that's right. For 2 weeks straight I have been working religiously on this issue with the Chairperson of the Alzheimer's Association (Long Island Chapter) and have gotten no where. I had originally looked into the idea of respite at the beginning of the year, but it took a backseat as we prepared for our short trip to DC. Since we've been back, I have been working on it and there is STILL no answer (our trip is 3 1/2 weeks away). Now my concern is that because hospice delayed their response, there are no other beds available in other facilities that Mike may have been able to go to under his Medicaid coverage. In order to do that, we would have had to drop him from hospice for that short period.

It is totally unimaginable to me that the system is this inept. Like I said, bottom line is if you place a loved one on hospice, you will NEVER be able to take a day or two to yourself.

2 comments:

Hospice Moorpark said...

If you place a loved one on hospice, you will NEVER be able to take a day or two to yourself.

Hospice Moorpark said...

Your article is really good one,you discuss it in a very proper an precise way,I like it very much.Keep it up.