Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Well, after my last post I felt bad. My brother woke up the next morning sick, so his "excuse" of being tired was in fact truth. The problem stems from the fact that EVERY DAY, my brother complains about something - his back, shoulder, knees, head, teeth - so that when something is REALLY wrong, I tend to brush it off. I spent the next day feeling REALLY bad.

Brandon went for his follow-up today. The bandage came off and the stitches came out. We thought he had a cast on, but it wasn't. Instead it was about 5 inches of cotton. Now he will be in a cast for 4 weeks, then on to a boot, then PT. When the doctor maneuvered his ankle to test the ligaments, he was pleasantly surprised with Brandon's reaction. According to Brandon, his ankle now felt "smooth".

Mike is still sneezing and coughing. Hospice still doesn't feel like an antibiotic is needed. I'm not sure it is either, because sometimes the mucus is clear, other times it's yellow/green. The nurse seems to think it's because of the dust in our house, but strangely enough, I disagree. My house is NOT the cleanest house around, I admit, but a few weeks back (about the time Mike started sneezing and coughing) Mike's aide cleaned the LR top to bottom. Since then, Mike has been coughing and my asthma has been worse. This is the reason why I leave my dust alone. Once it's moved and has the opportunity to "dance around the house", that's when the problems arise. If you leave it alone and let it just sit there, we're all OK :)

The local Alzheimer's Association has nominated me as their Long Island Ambassador for a new program. I would be working closely with my Congresswoman with regard to all things Alzheimers. It's a new program, and I'm not sure how much time I would need to dedicate to this. This is such an important issue for so many people and I need to make sure I can give it my all. They are trying to find out exactly what's involved and then I will make a decision. I would LOVE to be able to raise awareness directly in Washington.

No comments: