Friday, December 19, 2008

Sleepy Day

Today was not a great day. Mike slept the entire day.

I get to the hospital between 8:30-9:00 a.m. every day. This morning, Mike wasn't as alert. I tried giving him some breakfast but I didn't get far. I didn't want to force it, because I didn't want him to choke. Then he opened his mouth and yawned and I saw that his tongue was all white. He now has THRUSH, which means he will most likely not want to eat or drink for a day or two because his mouth and throat hurt so bad. I can look on the bright side and say at least he's in the hospital on an I.V. and he will continue to be hydrated. He just cannot get a break.

They tried switching all his meds from IV form to oral, in anticpation of him coming home. I stepped out to go to the ladies room and when I came back, Mike was up in bed and coughing with a pained look on his face. In my short absence, the nurse tried giving Mike his liquid meds via syringe in his mouth. NOT GOOD. I immediately told her to stop. She seemed completely confused, apparently no one had told her that EVERYTHING Mike takes in by his mouth needs to be thickened. She felt awful. When I think about what could have happened, I shuddered. Can you imagine what would have happened had I not been there? I do everything I can to tell everyone on staff about Mike's special needs, and it never seems to make it to his file for all to see.

Mike continued to sleep the rest of the day. We got him to smile a few times, but nothing more. The kids and I left early tonight because it had snowed all day today and I wanted to take my time getting home. It feels weird being home at this time. We usually do not get home until about 9-9:30. The nurse showed me the BIG sign she made for Mike's file (about the meds) so that no one will make the same mistake she did, so I felt more comfortable leaving him, but I still felt guilty leaving him by himself so early.

No comments: