Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Nathan

When I was driving Mary (Mike's aide) to the bus stop last night, I saw Nathan. I waved to him and he seemed genuinely excited about seeing me. After seeing him I had to call him last night and it was so nice to talk to him. As I stated before, he had been a part of our family for 4 1/2 years. He has seen us at our worst and also our best. He's seen Mike through some VERY difficult times. I had trusted him to take care of the love of my life, and it was very odd to not have that constant in our lives - even though the choice was ours. I was happy to find out that Nathan is doing well and working with another man. I couldn't tell him enough how lucky they were to have him. For so long, Nathan was THE best for us. He's an excellent worker. It wasn't until recently that he hadn't been doing what I had asked for Mike. He's also getting older and has a bad back. I felt it was only a matter of time before he came to me to say that he couldn't handle Mike anymore.

I just felt so good speaking to him. He told me that he had hoped to surprise us in a few weeks with a visit. I told him that I think Mike would love it. I have NO IDEA how much Mike knows or doesn't, but I do believe he comprehends more than people think. I can't wait to see his face when his "buddy" Nathan visits.

Next week, I also hope to have Mike enrolled in hospice. If all goes as I hope, there will be much more support for Mike, me and the kids.

1 comment:

trish said...

Karen:

Your still my hero! Good to hear about about Hospice and hope it takes a bigger load off of your shoulders. My prayers are always with you.

Trish