Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Day at the Movies

Last night, at quite the last minute, Courtney found out that the local movie theatre was playing all 5 Oscar nominated movies in one day. The first movie began at 10:30 a.m. and the last started at 9:45 p.m. She had asked a few friends, but no one could go. She was SO disappointed. Remember, movies are her life. She wants to go to college to study film and hopefully one day make movies. She is in all her glory with ANYTHING movies. I felt so bad for her, but I knew there was no way I could spend more than 12 hours out of the house. We compromised. We bought the tickets ($30 each. For 5 movies and a free popcorn, I thought it was a GREAT deal) and saw the first 3 movies: Milk, The Reader and ......Benjamin Button. We were home by 6:45 pm and had enough time to eat before getting Mike into bed.
It was such a GREAT experience. The manager of the movie theatre held a trivia game in between movies (there was an average of 45 min between each one). The audience got so into it. It was like a "day vacation".
When we got home I checked my e-mail and my girlfriend who is organizing the fundraiser for LIAF and Alz. Assoc. wrote to me. Apparantly one of the dancers in her troupe knows David Hyde Pierce. They were trying to get him to come to the fundraiser. He's rehearsing for a new Broadway show though and can't make it. INSTEAD, he donated two tickets and backstage passes to that show which they will be raffling off as the Grand Prize. Courtney is beside herself and hopes she can win it. Oh yeah, she loves Broadway also. Broadway and the Movies - this is her forte.
I also started a FaceBook page and I'm having fun navigating that. Courtney started a campaign on Facebook to try to get her on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. She's got the creativity, it may just help.

No comments: