Saturday, May 2, 2009

Flu at Home

Yesterday, Brandon came home from school with a 103 degress fever, chills, sore throat and body aches. I didn't want to be paranoid, but you can't help it these days. All it took was the right amount of friends to say, "Karen, you should take him to the hospital". I did. We got there about 7:30 last night. Brandon was MISERABLE. He looked the worst in the ER waiting room. By 10:30 he was seen by the doctor, and surprisingly, the doctor didn't seem too concerned about Brandon having the flu. He said because of his history with sinus issues, it was most likely a sinus infection. I asked about the flu, even if it was the "normal" flu and not the swine. He asked if Brandon was near anyone who went to Mexico. That's a stupid question, any of the kids at school could have known someone who went to Mexico. Just because someone doesn't personally know an infected individual, to me, means nothing. He finally agreed to swab Brandon for the "common flu" and of course, it came back POSITIVE. My mind went crazy. Beside feeling horrible for Brandon (they did NOT get their flu shots this year and it WILL BE THE LAST YEAR THEY DON'T), my thoughts went immediately to Mike. Brandon layed right next to him on the bed on Thursday night!!!!!

I'm also concerned about me. What happens if I get it? Beside having asthma (and the problems that can cause), how will I be able to take care of Brandon AND Mike? We are doing EVERYTHING we can to take precautions. Brandon stays up in his room and if he needs to come downstairs, he wears a mask. I wear a mask when I go into his room. When I come out I go right to the bathroom and wash my hands and use hand sanitizer. When I have to be close to Mike downstairs, I wear a different mask and I constantly wash my hands. I slept on the couch last night and I will sleep on the couch again tonight. I have to do EVERYTHING I possibly can to keep this germ from spreading.

Please pray that this is as far as it goes. I am thankful that Courtney has been in Florida and I hope by the time she comes home tomorrow, the incubation period will be over.

No comments: