Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Henley Update

As of yet, nothing has been done about Mike's leg. Christa mentioned that she felt Medicare would cover the cost of an at home doplar test to find out whether Mike had a blood clot. The next day I got a call from her supervisor, indicating that Medicare would NOT cover the cost. I had three choices: do nothing, take Mike to the ER for the test or pay the out of pocket expense (approx. $250.00). I decided to take a wait and see approach. Beside "possibly" putting Mike on a blood thinner, there's nothing different that they would do, since he already has a filter in his artery. I've been watching his leg VERY closely and for the last 3-4 days, it hasn't been swollen. He DOES have a few "rashes" on his leg in various places which I have also been watching. I get concerned about that because of the MRSA he has.

I had a L-O-N-G talk with the hospice social worker yesterday regarding our "nightmare" a few weeks back and she assured me that she would be speaking with the nursing supervisor to correct the situation. She seemed shocked when I told her what had happened, how long it took for someone to come and check Mike and the lack of professionalism of the nurse that DID finally come. At least I felt comfortable with the fact that it wasn't just me.

Courtney submitted (FINALLY) her two applications for Early Decision - to Fordham and Hofstra. They both have great film/communication/visual arts programs. Her first choice is still Fordham, but thankfully she is now open to other schools if that doesn't work out. I'm sure the disappointment will be there, but at least she will know she can get the same experience/education in another college.

Brandon also continues to amaze me. He got his progress report and he got all A's with the exception of English (B). No surprise there - he HATES English, especially this year with the grammar. He got his working papers the other day and wants to apply for a job at McDonald's where his friends work. I think it would be good for him, but we'll see if he actually does it. He seems to like the idea of making money so he can buy his own "things".

I am hanging in there, taking each day one at a time. Some days are better, some not so good.

No comments: