Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Always Something

For the last 10 months, we have had a nurse come by twice a month to check on Mike. Normally, this wasn't covered, but his Medicaid agency somehow worked it out so that it was possible. The same nurse has been attending Mike for 10 months. She is wonderful and knows Mike inside and out. She has caught things in the beginning BEFORE they became a problem that could have eventually lead him to the hospital.

At the end of October, his Medicaid agency was bought out by another agency, and they do NOT find it necessary for Mike to have a nurse come twice a month to check on him. This ASTOUNDS me. It is SO MUCH CHEAPER for NYS, for us to keep Mike at home with us and out of a nursing home. You would think they would have no problem covering a nurse's visit twice a month since the alternative would cost so much more. WRONG. They are pulling Mike's nurse's visits. I am so upste because it was so comforting to know that I had someone to call to come and check on Mike - instead of having to schlep him back and forth to the doctor (which we have to do via ambulette now). I am trying to remain positive and hope that we can somehow work around this, but I'm not confident.

All I ever wanted to do was keep Mike at home. It seems I am often up against the most difficult odds and instead of agencies working WITH me, they work AGAINST me.

No comments: