Thursday, September 24, 2009

Stranger in a Foreign Land

Being a caregiver is a life like no other. What I do for Mike in the morning before work, and at night after I get home, is often time consuming and sometimes challenging. My language and rituals are often not understood by "outsiders". When I am out in the "regular" world, I find myself quite often not being able to "understand" the language spoken, and the life lived by "mere mortals". The things they speak of and complain about, are not even on the radar in my universe. Life as a caregiver is lonely - it feels like you live on a desserted island and the only other person you can share things with, is someone who can no longer communicate. The two worlds attempt to collide sometimes, but there is always resistance.
I think I now know what it's like to be a stranger in a foreign land, living amongst people who speak a different language trying SO HARD to understand their culture.

No comments: