Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

Today was truly a labor day for me. Mike's aide was out yesterday and today. Yesterday she asked for the day off, which I never have a problem doing. She works 7 days a week and is wonderful with Mike. The ONLY issue I have is that when she's not here, Mike doesn't do well with me. Mike did not do well yesterday and I was looking forward to Elaine coming in today. I knew that Mike would do better, but the phone rang this morning at 7am and I knew it wasn't good. She was very sick. Right away I panicked about Mike and how he would do, then I realized that "it is what it is". I can only do the best I can for Mike and hope he will be OK. Today he definitely did better than yesterday, although not as good as when Elaine is here.
I am exhausted. Inevitably, for years, whenever I had a day off, our aide would not come in and I would need to take care of Mike. It seems like I can NEVER get a day to myself. Today, my mom told me that she could see the bags under my eyes. That's what happens when you haven't had a full night's sleep in 8 years.

No comments: