Sunday, April 15, 2007

Welcome....


Welcome to our family's journey of Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease (EOAD). My husband Michael was diagnosed at the age of 36 - he is now 42. He lost both his mom and brother to the disease.
This has been a long, difficult and often times exhausting journey. Our goal has always been to take care of my husband at home for as long as we can. We have 2 wonderful aides that care for him 7 days a week. Our children are 15 and 13 and they help take care for their dad also. I work full time, but take over caregiver duties once I get home.
We have been very vocal advocates for awareness and research for EOAD. This picture is of my family and friends with Mike and his aide as we prepare to walk in the Alzheimer Association's Memory Walk. As a team, we raised over $1,000.00. We have also created panels on the Leeza Gibbons Memory Wall, we have appeared on The Oprah Show, Paula Zahn Now and other local venues (newspaper, TV and radio). I have never been embarrassed nor ashamed of my husband for a disease he never chose. In fact, we are all in awe of him.
Mike is our hero and our inspiration and his smile gives us the energy we need to get through each day. I hope to be able to post frequent entries so you can come to understand our lives and our hopes for the future, while we love and care for one of God's most special people....my husband, Michael.

No comments: