Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What else....

I called Hospice last Monday and they agreed to put Mike on Cipro. I told the nurse that I needed them to do this. I know they believed that the fevers were not from an infection but just "part of the process", but I needed to know that I did everything I could for Mike. If the antibiotic didn't work, then so be it....I would have known that I did all I could.
By last Wednesday, Mike was completely different. No coughing, no fever. He actually even gave us a smile twice within the last week. Now I'm not completely oblivious to the reality of this disease and the course it will take, but for now, the Cipro helped Mike and I'm glad that I insisted on it. He's MUCH MORE comfortable and not struggling at all.
Mike still has the 4 pressure sores AND just yesterday we realized that his shoulder was dislocated again. It happened once, years ago while he was in the hospital and they re-set it there. I called Hospice and his nurse came to check it out. Yes, it was dislocated, but they couldn't do anything to fix it. I will have to take Mike to the ER to have it put back in place. Right now, he has it in a sling, and surprisingly, he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. I DREAD taking him to the ER - with his compromised immune system, who knows what he will pick up in the hours it will take for them to see and treat him??? I tried finding an orthopedist who knew one of his doctors, who maybe could take him quickly in their office, but that didn't work. So tomorrow morning, after he has his breakfast, I will call an ambulette to pick him up and take him to the ER. Ughhhhhhhhhhh.

No comments: