Saturday, September 22, 2007

That's What Friends are For....

Today, our friends Pat and Joe, came over for a visit. Although we hadn't seen them in a long time, when they came over, it felt like we've been in touch for years - a sure sign of a good friend. I was trying to "read" Mike to see whether there was any recognition, but I couldn't. There were some raised eyebrows and smiles and I really hope Mike knew they were there. I had a good time visiting with them, but got very sad after they left. This disease is so alienating, and you don't realize how much you don't have, until you get a little taste of "normal". Most people would take it for granted to go out with friends and reminisce. While Mike was eating lunch, we headed to the backyard and talked. It was such a simple thing, but something I enjoyed immensely. Thanks to my dear friend Pat, he once again brought up my mishap with the skunk on our way home from visiting a friend in Rhode Island. I don't think he'll EVER let that go. It was really good to laugh again. After Pat and Joe left, I felt sad. Sad that Mike couldn't be a part of our conversation, sad because it felt like yesterday when we were all so young with no worries. Life happens - but if you're lucky, you will have friends who will always be there for you, NO MATTER how long it's been since you've seen them.

If you know anyone suffering from some sort of illness, please, PLEASE, go and visit. It will mean the world to them.

(Picture taken Sat. 9/22/07 - Pat, Mike and Joe)

No comments: