Tuesday, February 14, 2012

To My Valentine

It is 1984 and I am working two part time jobs as I try to find a full time job after graduating college. I was working at both Friendly's Ice Cream and Channel Home Center. While at Channel, I became close with a group of people and we became like family. We would work hard and go our frequently on the weekends. It was the 80's so it was night clubs, dancing and drinking. It was an amazing time to be in my 20's. In this group of people was one in particular that stuck out to me. He seemed very mature for his age and he was cute. There was a core group of four - 2 guys and 2 girls that would spend the most time together. We were two of that group. In the larger group of friends, we had no idea that some thought we were a couple long before we were. Our connection was obvious to others, but it took some time for us to realize that we had something special. We were hearing rumors that we were dating even though we weren't and we kind of laughed it off...until one night when we were out and heard Bonnie Rait's song "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About". We looked at each other and laughed, as that song just fit our situation so perfectly. He looked at me and said, "so, do you want to make those rumors true?".
And so began Mike's and my relationship. We've been together 27 years, married for almost 24. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think our future would wind up like this.
Back on that night, which I can remember perfectly, I was just interested to see where the relationship would go. I had no idea that Mike was four years younger than me - and I took ALOT of grief for that. Of course, Mike's friends all thought it was great - dating an older woman. Of course I got the "cradle robber" comments. There was even a brief moment when I thought, maybe this isn't such a good idea. Of course, I decided to stay with Mike.
And stay I did and I wouldn't change a minute.
I know the name of the monster that will eventually take Mike away from me, but I know in my heart of hearts I will have done everything I could for him. That's all one can ask from the love of their life and there's no doubt in my mind that Mike would have done the same for me.
Happy Valentine's Day Mike - I love you. TOGETHER FOREVER.

1 comment:

Kathy Knowles said...

Unconditional love is beautiful even through the ugliness of Alzheimer's. You honor your husband and your marriage every moment. Hugs to you, Karen.
kathy